Oahu, Hawaii: Day 3 – Koko crater train trail

Have you woken up after a good work out at the gym the previous day and you practically couldn’t move your body?  Well, this is what Steph and I felt when we woke up that morning.  We weren’t used to the amount of walking we were doing, not to mention the high heights.  But we promised ourselves that today would be the last day of hiking.  We wouldn’t push ourselves too much.

Taking some time to pack and say goodbye to a lovely air bnb, we then drove to get a hardy breakfast at Café Kaila.  It was just around the corner from the Air bnb we were staying at.  I had a smoked salmon scramble that was a little too salty for my liking (because of the smoke salmon) but the rest of it was great.  I would definitely recommend this place – I just chose the wrong food option.


Steph and I took a deep breath before starting our trek up the train tracks of koko head crater.  Located on the eastern side of O’ahu, it is about 1208 ft high.  We noticed that the train trail began with a slight slope and ended with an almost vertical climb.  We managed to go half way.  The climb wasn’t as difficult as the descending as some steps were high and slippery from the sand.  It took us about 1.5 hours to get to the middle and back down, including tons of pictures along the way.  We saw children and people carrying babies up this hike.  If you’re trained and not sore, this shouldn’t be too hard of a hike for you (at least to the middle).

koko collage

Wanting to see some pretty Hawaiian flowers, we headed to Koko head’s botanical gardens.  It looked like it was located in a residential area beside a golf course.  The area also had horse stables.  We arrived about 10 minutes before it began to rain and we decided to head out for lunch.koko-bot-collage.jpg

We went back to Koko crater plaza and had Hawaiian pizza at Sophie’s.   We shared two half pizzas: one had macadamia nut cream sauce and the other had guava infused crust.  Both were good, but my favourite was the one with the macadamia nut cream sauce.  After using their Wi-Fi for a little bit, we decided to start our trek up to North Shore.


The traffic was pretty bad so we arrived to North Shore around 5 p.m.  We checked into an Air bnb, a little house right across the street from shark’s cove.  Location was great.  Though, we were a bit surprised to find out we were sharing the house with the family that actually lived there.  Our room was big enough for both of us, but the washroom was shared between us and their son.  The people that had owned the house were super nice and courteous but we didn’t get to see them that often.

Hungry, we headed to the nearby North Shore area for some Japanese food.  The restaurant was called Banzai and you got to sit on the floor, like real Japanese people.  I had a chirashi don (assorted sashimi laying on a bed of rice).  The fish was extremely fresh.  The weather, on the other hand, was going crazy.  Winds were high and it was pouring rain.  Luckily, by the time we finished dinner, it had slowed down and we had a safe drive home.


Needless to say, we slept early that day.  First off because there’s not much to do in the dark in North Shore area, especially when it’s been raining.  And secondly, we had a special plan for early next morning.

Are you starting to seeing a pattern?

Previous Day: Day 2 – Makapu’u Lighthouse and Tidepools

Next Day: Day 4 – Waimea Falls, Turtle Beach, Shark’s cove and a luau



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s